Saturday, December 13, 2008

Lesson learned: Food isn't the only enemy


You'd think after dealing with The Celiac Dad and his food limitations for the past five years or so, I'd be pretty seasoned by now when it comes to what to avoid.

And when it comes to food items, I do feel pretty confident that I can make gluten-free choices for Buttercup no matter where I'm at.

Of course, feeling confident is the first step to having the carpet yanked out from under your feet, and I just landed on my butt.

Buttercup and I were playing in her room last night when she came across the one-ounce Play-Doh container she was given by a friend. I had stored it on the top of her book shelf, forgetting that Buttercup is growing like a weed and now tall enough to reach.

When she handed me the closed container with a hopeful little look in her eye, I decided I was going to ignore the recommended age range and have some fun with Buttercup. (The container says for 2+.) And as I turned the little container in my hand to open it, my eyes just happened to come across these words: "NOTICE TO PARENTS: THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS WHEAT".

Um, what? Why? Whatever...

And in that instant, I realized that I'm in for a world of learning when it comes to raising a child on a gluten-free diet. Not only do I have to worry about food; it seems that the world of play and toys and fun is now one in which we also need to tread carefully.

And in the interest of those dealing with similar issues, I hunted up a wheat-free, gluten-free homemade recipe to make for the kids.

PLAYDOH (recipe from Cooks.com)

*1 c. flour
*1 c. boiling water
*2 tbsp. cream of tartar
*1/2 c. salt1 tbsp. oil
*Food coloring
*Mix and knead together.
*This playdoh is not sticky and does not dry out.

I haven't tried the recipe out for myself yet, but plan to as soon as the holiday craziness has passed.

Until then, I'm hiding that tin of the poison-doh, I mean Play-doh, and living happily in my little Celiac Kid induced gluten-free world.

No comments: