Friday, November 21, 2008

So does she or doesn't she?

I get asked this a lot about Buttercup and whether or not she actually has Celiac Disease. and I am always reply with a "We don't know yet."

And that, quite frankly, results in a few raised eyebrows from family and strangers alike.

I know what they are thinking and I am sure the words "crazy" and overprotective" come to mind for many. And if I had never seen my big, strong, capable husband curled up in the fetal position trying to wish away the pain as his body fought to rid itself of unintentionally digested gluten-containing foods, I'd probably think anyone else was crazy for keeping their kid on a special diet with no "proof" it was actually necessary.

But I have. So here I am with my Celiac Kid.

When I was pregnant, we did all the research we could to make sure that even the simplest things like formula were safe for Buttercup. I even asked an attending physician I was seeing if I needed to watch what I ate when breastfeeding to make sure gluten wasn't accidentally ingested by my daughter. His reponse (that Celiac disease was an aquired condition and I had nothing to worry about) made me realize how much misinformation is still out there, and reminded me that we were going to have to be our own advocates.

I should have known. After all, it took ten years for my husband to get a proper diagnosis after popping acid reflux meds like tic tacs for ten years with no benefit or relief. Not until I dragged him to my own doctor were the proper steps taken, correct tests ordered, and Celiac Disease issued as a diagnosis.

We have hemmed and hawed over when to test Buttercup, what test to go with when the time comes, and bucked the "It's no big deals" coming from well-meaning loved ones hoping to share a nice, cheap, and tasty snack (that didn't require six different kinds of flour and four baking attempts for it to come out right)with our daughter. And since she was born it has moved from 12 months to 18 months and now to four years old. Perhaps even four.

Based on our research and commens from well-versed doctors, the longer we wait to test the better. We'll get more accurate results that way, and at the very least I'll rest better knowing that any gluten introfuced solely for testing purposes won't hurt my baby's tummy without her being able to tell me.

Eyes rolled when we announced our plans for our extended gluten-free diet. But in all reality, it's no more work or expense since Buttercup's daddy is on the same diet. I know he feels better knowing that we are giving our daughter the extra time needed for accurate test results, and I do, too.

2 comments:

valmg said...

Sadly there are probably as many undiagnosed cases of Celiac disease as there are people (including doctors) who aren't aware of it. It is one of, if not the most, undiagnosed conditions there is. My youngest son has Celiac disease. http://www.valmg.com/index.php/2008/national-celiac-awareness-month/

Pauline said...

Thanks for being the first to comment on the blog and to share your story. It's really hard to get good medical advice, isn't it? So many doctors are still unfamiliar with the condition.