Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Celiac Kid

I must be crazy to start a new blog with two already going, and yet hear I am.
Now, I know that there are tons of blogs a sites out there devoted to Celiac Sprue (or Celiac Disease, as it is also known), but I wanted to see if I could create a place for moms like me. I'm not a chef and won't be coming up with any crazy original recipe ideas. I haven't written an cookbooks. And I don't have a medical degee.

What I do have is a husband who was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue five years ago, and 17-month-old daughter (whom I call Buttercup) who will be on a gluten-free diet until she is at least three years old (more on that later.) And of course, because it always works this way, I also have too many kiddie parties, family dinners, and other situations where I have had to make like Superman and jump tall buildings in a single leap in order to smack a cookie on it's way into my daughter's mouth out of a well-meaning relative's hand.

If you found your way here, I am sure you can relate.

And since I'm the family shopper and cook, it only makes sense that I'd be pretty versed in what works and what doesn't. In my frantic efforts to help my husband and daughter have relatively normal eating experiences both in and out of the home, I've come across some great gluten-free products in some unexpected places and I've also had my fair sharen of "oopses".

I'm in the process of gathering a panel of contributing experts to share tips, recipes, and other relate insight on how to raise a Celiac Kid. I'll be surfing the net for resouces we all can benefit from, and sharing my own adventures along the way.So stop on by as I get the new Celiac Kid community on its feet.

No comments: